Antwerp is one of the most iconic cities in Flanders, and it’s definitely worth visiting these 5 amazing spots in Antwerp. The city is most known for her beautiful architecture and has left a mark on the world map in the fashion industry. But there are also a few hidden gems, that will make you fall in love with this city like the locals.
Antwerp is a lovely city. There are so many precious hotspots that it might be difficult for you too see the wood for the trees. We perfectly understand and therefore give you a selection of tips from the award-winning city guide Tanguy Ottomer
, whom CNN awarded as ‘One of the Seven Savviest Guides of the World’. Toerisme Flanders also nominated him ‘The Best Touristic Ambassador of Flanders’. If you visit Tanguy’s Antwerp favorites, you’ll quickly understand why Antwerp is such a great city!
- Blondé is the place where optician Eddy has been selling magnificent glasses to the people of Antwerp for more than 30 years yet. He always decorates his shop windows very nicely. You won’t mind queuing in a traffic jam in the Nationalestraat! (Nationalestraat 141, 2000 Antwerpen)
- Bar Tabac Julien is the perfect place to finish your shopping spree with some quiet and rest in the middle of the city. You immediately feel like you’re in Paris or Florence! You can have a coffee or a glass of wine while reading a newspaper or magazine. Hugry? No problem, just buy one of the delicious croissants or brioches, or have yourself some pasta or soup. Bon appétit! (Wapper 18, 2000 Antwerpen)
- Euterpia is a real monument in the Antwerp restaurant scene. It’s Keith Haring’s favorite spot in the city. You can find a drawing of the artist in the lavatory, and he also designed the label of the house wine. Tanguy finds this building one of the very prettiest at the Cogels Osylei. (Generaal Capiaumontstraat 2, 2600 Berchem)
- Ydde is optician Eddy Blondé’s house in Berchem, which is some kind of museum full of funny and crazy decoration stuff. Ydde, which stands for “Eddy” spelt backwards, is a hotspot for exclusive expositions and remarkable photoshoots. (Rysheuvelstraat, 2600 Berchem)
- Galerie Callewaert-Vanlangendonck is a relatively young gallery where you can find modernist art of big names. A dream come true for every art lover! (Wolstraat 21-23, 2000 Antwerpen)
Have you been to one of these addresses yet? Do you agree with Tanguy Ottomer?
Taken from Gazet van Antwerpen.