Antwerp has many weekly, monthly, seasonal and annual markets. We give you a handy overview!
- Vogelenmarkt (“Birds market”): flowers, fabrics, antiques, jewelry and more. You can even find small animals! (Oudevaartplaats, Theaterplein and surrounding streets, Sunday 8am to 1pm)
- Exotic market: all kinds of Mediterranean specialties, Turkish and Moroccan food. (Oudevaartplaats, Theaterplein and surrounding streets, Saturday 8am to 4pm except on public holidays)
- Friday market: old furniture and small antiques are auctioned at the Friday Market. A lively event which is fun to attend, even if you just go watching. (Vrijdagmarkt, Friday 9am to 1pm)
- Antiques market: antiques and other old/second-hand stuff. This market is aimed more at “casual” buyers than the Friday market. (Saturday: Lijnwaadmarkt 9 aam to 5pm except on public holidays; Sunday: Sint-Jansvliet 9am to 5pm, also on public holidays)
- Bio market: products with a bio quality label (Falconplein, Sunday 8am to 4pm)
- Boekenplein (“Books Square”): this is more than just a books market. There are always musicians playing and stands where you can grab a bite or a drink. (De Coninckplein, March to October, every third Sunday of the month from 10am to 5pm)
- Lambermontmartre: Lambermontmartre wants to recreate the same ambiance as the Montmartre in Paris in the southern neighborhood of Antwerp. (Lambermontplaats, May to September, every last Sunday of the month from 12pm to 5pm)
- Brocantwerpen: flea-market where you can also find some vintage and antiques. (Grote Markt, March to October, every last Wednesday of the month from 10am to 6pm)
- Rubens market: all merchants here are dressed like 17th century merchants and their stands are decorated in that way as well. At the end of the market day, the best dressed merchant with the best decorated stand is chosen. The items being sold are of this age too. (Grote Markt and surroundings, 15 August 8am to 10pm)
- Christmas market: a yearly event with lots of food and drink stands, seasonal products, an ice skating rink and even a ferris wheel. This creates a truly magical atmosphere in the city center!
So you see: there are many markets to check out in lovely Antwerp! What’s your favorite market in the city?
Source: Wonderful Wanderings